Create and express yourself using a variety of materials and media
"There lives an artist in each child. The problem is how to remain an artist as we grow up."
The teaching of visual arts at the Lycée is designed according to guidelines established by the French national ministry of education. It is also in accordance with the curriculum of the International Baccalaureate.
The approach helps students develop their creativity, their critical reasoning and their visual and esthetic analysis, thus teaching them independence and preparing them to interpret the world of images around them. Students learn to appreciate, interpret and create a work of art.
The art room functions as a workshop. Different work areas are open to students to allow them to explore different artistic media such as drawing, painting, collage, digital photography or video, sculpture or installation.
Students are encouraged to work like "real artists" and are autonomous when creating their projects.
The teaching of art is mandatory from 1st to 9th grade, and then optional from 10th grade onwards. Visual arts are taught in French by Anne Seigenthaler and Olivier Bodart. The art option in high school is also coordinated by Olivier Bodart.
Art option in the high school
An art option is offered to all students from 10th grade onwards, with two hours of classes per week. The main goals of this option that students may choose to prepare for their baccalaureat are as follows:
- Learn the tools and methods used by artists, from the Middle ages to the twentieth century, to represent the world in painting.
- Be in direct contact with works of art: this creates a group dynamic and a greater impact.
- Recognize the great painters throughout the ages.
- Understand the main artistic trends.
- Have an idea of the chronology of artists throughout different eras; understand how they go from figurative (Ancient Painting) to the abstract art of the twentieth century.
- Understand the techniques used by painters, for example to represent perspective or light.
From pre-K to 12th grade, students may also participate in many different visual arts programs as part of extracurricular activities offered by the Lycée. Students may register for the following activities: creation of animated films, interior design, art and creativity and ceramics.
Anne Seigenthaler, visual arts teacher
Anne has been an art teacher at the LFC since 2000, and loves to share her passion for visual arts with students from 1st to 6th grade.
Olivier BODART, Visual Art teacher from 8th to 12th grade.
An art teacher since 1995, Olivier also has a passion for everything related to the creation of books. Writing, engraving, photography, and digital imaging are among the subjects he likes to share.