Lycée Guidance and Planning
Applying to a college or university consists of five basic steps.
- Conduct a self-assessment: Explore personal values, goals, and interests. Evaluate academic records and personal strengths and weaknesses. Determine what type of environment best suits your learning style and needs.
- Research colleges and universities to find the best fit your interests, goals, personality, and budget.
- Prepare for and take college entrance exams: SAT, SAT Subject Tests, ACT, TOEFL.
- Compile a list of suitable colleges.
- Apply to the selected colleges.
- Apply for financial aid and scholarships.
- Decide which college to attend.
Each of these steps is fully explained in the College Application Handbook, which further explains the differences between the French and American systems.
Role of the College Advisor
At each stage of the process, the College Advisor provides resources and assistance. The College Advisor: